Thursday, May 8, 2008

Neighborhood heroes

About a week & a half ago Jared, JO Jo & I were coming back from our run and taking our usual route back home. We cut through the True Value parking lot that connects with a dirt road that goes through all the sagebrush. On the side of True Value is the little gated area where they keep the trees & outdoor things they're selling. So we were talking & I kind of noticed someone in the gated area but just figured he was a working, even though the store was closed, until he threw down what he had & ran over the fence. That's when he caught my attention so I just said to Jared, "that kid was just trying to steal." I kept walking up the dirt road & Jared & the dog went over to search through the sagebrush to find him. It took several minutes then I saw some sagebrush moving & finally the boy stood up but had taken off the red sweatshirt he had been wearing. He was in between Jared & I & his little bike was in the middle of the dirt road. Jared yelled to him asking if he was the boy that was in there(the gate) & he said no, I'm just waiting for my friends. Jared replied, "in the bushes?" He started heading north through the long field of sagebrush & Jared yelled asking if he was going to come get his sweater & the boy said no, I don't want it. He walked right past his bike and was swiftly walking, partly jogging north. Jared took his sweatshirt & bike & called a policeman to come get it. All in all it was an interesting evening. We're guessing the boy was around 14 or so. I hope we never have this happen again!

2 comments:

Kolby & Diana Romrell said...

What a crazy story. I love that dog. Is he a border collie?

The Perkins Family said...

That is kindoff scary. Just glad you were together and not by yourself.